International Symposium on the History of Food and National Food Culture
Lomonosov Moscow State University
The Centre for Cross-cultural Studies
The Academy of Gastronomic Knowledge and Culture
2015 International Symposium
TRADITIONAL CULTURE IN THE MODERN WORLD
History of Food and National Food Culture
29th – 3st of October 2015
Focusing exclusively on the history of food and eating traditions of different nations, the second International Symposium on the History of Food and National Food Culture is a unique academic event in Russia as the issues discussed at the forum have always been outside of academic interest in the country.
The Symposium aims to
- bring together Russian scholars involved in food studies and provide a forum for their interaction with specialists from European and other countries;
- bring together academics, policy makers, industrialists and business people engaged with food history and traditions;
- introduce foreign scholars to the current state of research in food studies in Russia and build contacts with international specialists in this area;
- counter numerous pseudo-scientific studies;
- promote traditional eating practices in the society.
The conference will focus on the following areas:
- Gastronomic culture as an academic subject: theory and practice;
- World history of food and nutrition;
- Gastronomic culture of the peoples of Russia and the Soviet Union: history, evolution, national peculiarities;
- Historical forms of gastronomic practices;
- Food in the space of the dialogue of cultures;
- Food and eating patterns as factors shaping national consciousness and self-identification;
- Food in literature and language;
- Food as the object of artistic reflection;
- Food and religion;
- The Internet as a platform for gastronomic discussion;
- Food in mass media;
- Gastronomic aspects of tourism;
- Food advertising: historical, cultural, regional and social aspects;
- Modern business: tradition and innovation in food services.
The range of topics is not limited to those listed above. We will appreciate any interesting and constructive proposals on how to broaden the scope of the Symposium.
We welcome speakers from different backgrounds: academics, journalists, bloggers, entrepreneurs, restaurateurs, museum employees, advertising specialists and all those interested in food history and traditions.
The Symposium will feature a number of special events and meetings that will be announced later. Please check out updates on our website:
The working languages of the Symposium
Participation fee is 1500 RUB
Participation fee for the members of The Academy of Gastronomic Knowledge and Culture is 500 RUB
or by phone: +7 (495) 7340260
Your support is very important to us!
The Organizing Committee:
Address: 31/1, Lomonosovskiy prospect, Moscow, Russia, 119192
Phone: +7 (495) 7340260; Phone/ fax: +7 (499) 783 02 64
The Academy of Gastronomic Knowledge and Culture: www.gastac.ru
Upon completion of the Symposium, submitted papers can be published in the Proceedings book, which will be assigned an ISBN and registered in the Russian Science Citation Index.
The publication of the paper must be paid for separately on a page-by-page basis, at the rate of 300 RUB per page (either full or fractional).
Selected papers will be published free of charge in the online journal of theAcademy of Gastronomic Knowledge and Culture.
We are looking forward to meeting you at our Symposium!